4-lane project contractors file FIR over clip

4-lane project contractors file FIR over clip

Contractors engaged in construction of the 4-lane highway between Purana Bazaar to Chumoukedima have filed an FIR against video and comments that went viral on social media and questioning quality of workmanship.

In a joint statement, the contractors said the works are being implemented as per the specifications and guidelines approved by the Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH).

In the video that went viral on social media, a man is seen breaking the cover of a drain along the highway while another person heard alleging that low grade sand and mud mixture were used for the concrete of drain cover. The contractors said all components with their own specifications were used for drainage and the cover. They also clarified that vehicles were not supposed to ply over the drains but only to be used as footpath. One of the contractors said that the drain covers/slabs were not weak by design and that materials used and the workmanship were designed for pedestrians and wherever vital and main crossings were there, these have been specified as per MoRTH engineering yardstick.

Slamming the video for alleging that materials used for drain cover were inferior, the contractors pointed out that the particular spot where the cover collapsed was not specified as a vehicle-crossing junction and therefore the slab was not supposed to withstand the weight of a 20-tonne dumper truck which was made to go over it.

They explained that there was a procedure to be followed and likewise anyone having grievance should approach the engineers and contractors stationed at project sites.

However, they said that instead, by recklessly dumping mud on along the drain and driving vehicles over them were purely done with mala fide intention to disrupt the ongoing project.

They also maintained that all materials used were fully certified by laboratory setup for the project and every material was tested before use.

The contractors also complained lack of cooperation from the public towards the ongoing project, which would benefit entire populace of the State. They also urged public to stop being “private vigilantes” instead of encouraging the workers.

Meanwhile, the contractors have disclosed that despite putting up signboards and barricades, public were damaging layer of dry lean concrete (DLC).

They said final topping of the road cannot be done without proper laying of DLC and that it was very unfortunate to note the recklessness by some people. They urged the commuters to have a regard for the signboards and barriers placed at the sites of the construction.

Meanwhile, talking to Nagaland Post project manager, Gautam and senior Highway Engineer, Ajay Kumar confirmed that an FIR had been lodged against destruction of public property on May 19.

They pointed out that the sidewalks were meant for people and not for plying of vehicles.

They also welcomed any complaint over quality of the pavement instead of taking law into their own hands.

[“source=nagalandpost”]